Manchester United news and transfer news headlines from Thursday’s national newspapers and journalists.
1. Leeds United midfielder Kalvin Phillips is aligned with Rangnick’s preference for targeting hungry players seeking a progressive career move.
Source: [Samuel Luckhurst via MEN]
2. The same journalist confirms that Kalvin Phillips is generating interest from Aston Villa and West Ham but Manchester United are confident of winning the race.
3. Manchester United are working on a deal to sign Leeds United’s Kalvin Phillips, per Samuel Luckhurst.
4. Erik ten Hag would like to take Jurrien Timber from Ajax. Antony would cost £70m-£90m.
Source: Marcel van der Kraan via Sky Sports
5. Erik ten Hag wants two major guarantees at Manchester United: A backroom staff that fits him in a total set up to change the club’s philosophy, and guarantees with freedom on his management and players, according to the same journalist Marcel van der Kraan.
6. Sources within Ajax say there is no agreement yet between their manager Erik ten Hag and Manchester United. A multi-year contract is ready for Dutchman, but he is in no hurry to act.
7. Manchester United will make substantial funds available to Erik ten Hag this summer even if the club fail to finish in the top-four this season.
Source: James Ducker via Daily Telegraph
8. The same journalist reported that Manchester United are prioritising the recruitment of a striker and two accomplished, high-energy midfielders and will make their recommendations to the new manager. The right-sided forward area has also been scouted but it is considered a less pressing issue.
9. Manchester United are moving closer to appointing a new deputy football director. The process is down to the final three candidates. The Red Devils are hoping to make an appointment within the next fortnight, per James Ducker and James Burt via Daily Telegraph.
11. Erik ten Hag will make Wolves Ruben Neves one of his No1 transfer targets if he is appointed Manchester United boss, according to The Sun.
12. The same outlet claim that Manchester United are considering a swoop for Rene Meulensteen to assist Erik ten Hag at Old Trafford, according to reports.
13. The Times report that Erik ten Hag wants assurances from Manchester United about the future direction of the club after he emerged as the favourite to become their next manager.
14. Harry Kane and Declan Rice, are among the most ambitious and costly targets on Man United’s transfer wishlist and there is an agreement at the club that either deal could be very difficult to get over the line, report Daily Telegraph.
15. John McGinn, the Aston Villa and Scotland midfielder, is another player of interest to Manchester United, per Daily Telegraph.
16. Manchester United are still expected to have talks with Paris Saint-Germain manager Mauricio Pochettino this week, but it is likely to be to tell him that he has not got their managerial job, report Daily Telegraph.